USBDiskEjector is a portable program that allows you to quickly remove USB devices in Windows. It was originally designed to remove only USB pen drives but will now eject any USB device. It can be run as a non-visual command line program or a normal gui program. Its very useful if you have a USB flash/pen drive, especially if you use a menu such as PStart or the Portable Apps launcher. Continue reading
Radical Image Optimization Tool is a free image optimizer that will let you to visually adjust compression parameters while keeping minimum filesize.
It uses with a side by side (dual view) or single view interface to compare the original with the optimized image in real time.
It has a simple and easy to use interface where you will be able to control compression, number of colors, metadata settings and much more, and select image format (JPG, GIF or PNG) for your output file.
* open many image types including rare/scientific types
(up to 128 bpp, integer and floating point).
* save and optimize JPEG, GIF and PNG with a simple, clean user interface
* works in dual view: (original – optimized image) or single view (optimized image).
Automatic preview of resulting image
* in-place compare function (alternativelly display the original image over the optimized image to notice small pixel changes)
* compress files to desired filesize threshold
* fast processing (all is done in memory);
see instant results including resulting filesize
* batch support (process multiple files at once)
* transparency handling options
* decide if you want to keep metadata (comments, IPTC, Adobe XMP, EXIF profiles, ICC profiles).
Unsupported metadata is removed
* transfer metadata between image formats (destination format must support them)
* common tools: pan and zoom, rotate, flip
* basic image adjustments: brightness, contrast, gamma, invert
* visually reduce number of unique colors for PNG and GIF images in order to reduce filesize
(two quantization methods are available: Xiaolin Wu and NeuQuant neural net)
* resize image by using well known resample filters (ex: Lanczos3, Catmull Rom, Bicubic, and others)
* out-of-the-box support for external PNG optimizers (optipng, pngout, etc)
* the compression and the results are comparable to those of commercial products, even higher.
* Adaptive logarithmic tone mapping algorithm (Drago) used for HDR images
It can check e-mail addresses, the Google PageRank and shows domain information.
Installation Required: No
Server2Go is a Webserver that runs out of the box without any installation and on write protected media. This means that web applications based on Server2Go can be used directly from cdrom, a usb stick or from any folder on a hard disk without the hassle of configuring Apache, PHP or MySQL.
Server2Go allows you to create a standalone working web site or PHP application on a CD-ROM. There are many examples of its possible useses such as catalogue software, calculation programmes, image campaigns (CMS-based), computer based training lessons or other applicatons. Most PHP-Software such as the content management system Joomla or the computer based training software Moodle can be used from CD-ROM with the help of Server2Go. Continue reading
Are you looking for a free VPN (Virtual Private Network)?
Well if you’re like me and travel a lot many times you are stuck using a public hotspot such as at a library or Starbucks. The problem with public WiFi is that it’s not very secure. For instance if I sat next to you I could capture all your info through the public WiFi!
What a VPN does is that blocks data and packet sniffing as well as someone else spoofing your computer to get the data from the public WiFi.
Another great use of a VPN is that it allows you to view content that may be blocked from your country such as some Youtube videos, Hulu.com as well as Windows Media Center TV if you live outside the US.
Usually a VPN can cost about $5 a month or more but Anchorfree, a company in California, provides HotSpot Shield, a free VPN that is ad supported. Maybe you do not need a VPN all the time, but only those few times you want to view a region blocked video. Well this is a great choice. I use Anchorfree’s VPN all the time out in public and I’ve never had a problem. Maybe you will find it useful too!
USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.
* For each USB device, exteneded information is displayed: Device name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices), the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more…
* USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously used, disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your computer, as well as to disable and enable USB devices.
* You can also use USBDeview on a remote computer, as long as you login to that computer with admin user.
Installation Required: No
iQ-Notes is a Windows application that gives the user the ability to track notes on their computer just like Post-It notes. The application is freeware, which means you can download and use it, at no cost! One neat thing you can do with it is that it can synchronize with an FTP server so the notes on one computer is the same as the notes on your other computers or laptop.
If you have notes all over your desk, or want to save information all in one place without losing them, you’ll find this program very easy to use with many useful features. Simply just install this program and it appears on your task-tray. Whenever you want to create a fast note, just double-click on the post-it note icon on your task tray. It’s that easy.
Volumouse is a great piece of software I use everyday. Volumouse is a free portable utility that controls the volume of your computer by clicking and holding a mouse button while scrolling up or down on the mouse wheel to change the volume. Of course these settings can be changed but this is how I have it set up.
Why would you need Volumouse you might ask? Continue reading
Here is a nice free domain name search tool for you to look up to see if the domain name you want to register is available and if it’s already taken it will give you the WHOIS info.
Are you tired of reinstalling software everytime you reformat your computer? Portable software is software that you can carry on any usb thumb drive and run it directly on that drive to any computer without installation.
I’ve been using portable software for years because it makes moving things and backups much easier, all you do is drag and drop.
Nowadays most of my software is portable including Firefox Portable.
Below you will find some of the best free portable applications courtesy of PortableApps.com